According to the Agency for Healthcare Research and quality, mental health and substance abuse cases accounted for one in eight emergency room visits in the United States in 2010. Considering that 65 percent of non-metropolitan counties do not have a psychiatrist and 47 percent of these same counties do not have a psychologist, there is a clear demand for specialized care for mental health cases. Avel eCare Behavioral Health addresses this demand by providing emergency departments, inpatient behavioral health and acute inpatient units with expert evaluations from mental health professionals.
Through a secure connection, facilities will have 24/7 access to an interdisciplinary behavioral health team who assists with admission support, medication management, and assessment services.
Organizations who utilize Avel eCare Behavioral Health services are equipped to meet both the physical and mental needs of patients while reducing their length of stay in the emergency room and providing the highest quality of care.
Behavioral Health Services
Avel eCare Behavioral Health seamlessly integrates with emergency departments to offer diagnosis, treatment, and discharge planning services. Avel eCare Behavioral Health experts help with:
- Evaluating patients for presenting symptomology, and evaluating safety and severity of patient illness using evidence-based assessment tools
- Determining the condition of the patient – chemical abuse, depression, anxiety, suicidal ideation, etc.
- Initiating a collaborative call with the on-site provider and Avel’s psychiatrist to discuss the recommended level of care, medications and disposition planning
- Providing patient education such as a safety plan, means restriction for patients that will be discharged from the emergency department
- Assisting in locating an admitting facility if no beds are available at the local facility
- Provider-to-provider consults for other behavioral health-related questions